1.27.2011

Community HIV/ AIDS outreach

So if you know me, you know that I am in my 2nd to last semester of nursing school.  This semester, we get the opportunity to go to 3 facilities and do "community service" (for lack of a better term).  Today I went to St. Therese Community Outreach, and worked for about 7 hours. St. Therese is a food pantry that services the Las Vegas valley's HIV and AIDS community.  It's Catholic faith based, but does not discriminate.  I had the best time today.  The feeling of helping those in need is overwhelming.  I am hoping to have the time in the near future to volunteer there, on my own time.  The staff at St. Therese is AWESOME! They appreciated all my help, and couldn't thank me enough...but little do they know that just by them allowing us (me and my fellow classmates) to come help them is thanks enough.

Next week, I'll be at The Salvation Army, in their adult / mentally handicapped day care facility.  and the following week, I get to go to Shade Tree, which is a homeless shelter for abused and homeless women and children. I am really enjoying this rotation and can't wait to do some more volunteering.


On a personal note, I finished day 3 of my Jillian Michaels ass whoopin' today and it really does get easier with each day.  I have decided to do 10 days of each level.  I am excited to see my results :) Only a few more days till my next weigh in...and I'm gonna take my measurements too! I'm a little nervous, but excited to see if I've mad any progress in the last 4 weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment