1.03.2011

Setting Goals

Every year, I make the same resolutions at New Years...
  • Lose weight
  • Quit smoking
And every year I have no motivation to do either...but not this year.  This year I have some major milestones coming up.  The first to happen will be in July and that's graduating Nursing School.  Then, on 11/11/11 I'll turn 30!! YIKES!! 30!?!??! OK, really I'm not that freaked out about 30.  But there are somethings I would like to accomplish before that day.  So instead of setting those dreaded New Year's resolutions, this year, I decided to set some goals and make a plan to reach them. 

My first goal is to be the same size, or smaller (clothing wise) I was when Cowboy and I first started dating.  At the end of 2005 I was a size 11. 5 years later I'm now a size 18/20.  To me, that is unacceptable.  I am uncomfortable in my clothes, I hate being in a bathing suit during the summer...and, more importantly it's VERY unhealthy.

My second goal is to be a non smoker.  As I mentioned before, I will be graduating nursing school this year and I find it very hypocritical to be a smoking nurse.  One of the major roles of the nurse is to be an educator, and smoking cessation is a major teaching point to my patients.  I, in my own mind, can not effectively teach someone the importance of not smoking, and then go out on my next break and smoke a cigarette.  And, it too, is SO unhealthy. 

So here's my plan to meet these goals.  For the weight goal.  I am going to follow my old Weight Watcher's plan. It worked for me last time so I'm hoping that it will work for me this time.  The only difference is, that I will not be going to weekly meetings.  Instead, I'm going to track my progress with this blog. I am also going to get active...There's a community center just up the street that has a full gym and I intend to use it.

As for the smoking goal, I'm not gonna go cold turkey and try to be a hero.  So far it's been almost 3 days with no cigarettes and I feel great.  I haven't had one craving.  But I also know how hard it is to quit smoking and It's going to take some time.

Oh, and I think i just decided within the last 30 minutes or so, to run the Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon coming up in December.  I'll keep you posted on that too.

Well there it is.  In "black and white".  I've written my goals down and now it's time to get the ball rolling. 

If you, the reader has any pointers for me along the way, or words of encouragement, please comment.  If you're just going to be negative, please keep your thoughts to yourself.  I am going to put myself out there for all to see.  Weight, measurements and photos.  I am hoping by doing this, it will motivate me to keep going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment